Thursday, October 14, 2010

Saturday is one of the victories

If we're being realistic, this Saturday's contest against Louisiana Tech is one of of six highly winnable Western Athletic Conference games for the University of Idaho football team this year.

It's an unlikely path, but this weekend the Vandals can take their first step toward a 6-2 conference record, 9-4 overall record and another bowl appearance.

Don't get bogged down in how weird it is to think about UI winning six league games. Instead, dwell on the encouraging facts about La. Tech that are staring us in the face:
  • The Bulldogs are 2-4 this season — including losses to Navy and Southern Miss.
  • They're giving up 25 points per game — amid a schedule including Navy and Southern Miss.
  • Teams average 435 yards per game against them.
  • They have no stability at the quarterback position. What's up with three different signal-callers starting at least one game so far in 2010? It's not working, as these guys are combining to average 5.7 yards per pass and have thrown six touchdowns versus 11 interceptions.
  • They're completing a measly 33 percent of their third-down plays.

The Vandals shouldn't lose this game. The return of Princeton McCarty from injury will help immensely, and the rest of the offense should be able to overcome their recent red-zone woes.

Final score? Vandals 42, Bulldogs 24.

Am I wrong? Tell me what you think the outcome will be?

5 comments:

  1. Well, for one the game is @ LA Tech. It is the third road game in a row and they almost beat us in the dome last year, missed a kick as time expired. Sorry to post anon, but I don't have an account. Love the site by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for catching that. I shouldn't be writing this late! Even though it's a road game, I'm not worried. Idaho has a team leader at QB; La. Tech does not. And the Bulldogs aren't doing "the little things" this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure why you are dissing S. Miss and Navy. Both teams are respectable. Anon. from S.C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On paper, there is no reason we don't beat La Tech by double digits. After listening to the pitiful performance at CSU, I'm not overly optimistic that we will be able to put the game together on the road that we need to win convincingly. My prediction: 38-35 Vandals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In retrospect, let me just say, WHAT THE HECK?!??!! It's probably a little too early to be hitting the panic button, but that was terrible. Ross Jenkins threw fro 422 yards, are you kidding me? His previous high was 357, but that was against Nichols State. Best passing performance against a Div 1A (like you, Jake, not calling it FBS. ever.) was 258 against Nevada.

    It's not inconceivable to see us ending the season at best 7-6, at worst 4-9. And to be honest, I don't know which is worse. I realize that sounds ridiculous, but you know that song, "I'd rather feel pain than nothing at all". That rings true in sports as much as in relationships. 6-7 makes me feel nothing. If we ever want to be a contender, even in the lowly WAC, a few 7-6, 6-7 seasons are necessary, but I find myself longing for the days of 0-12, 1-11, because we had an identity. We were losers. I got excited about checking the Bottom 10 on Espn.com. Now, we are not in the national conversation, for better or worse.

    I will now conclude my defeatist rant. I sincerely hope we win every game from here on out, but I can't let myself be deluded into thinking we actually will.

    ReplyDelete